As business owners we have a lot of stress in our day to day lives. Hiring, customers, sales, profits and more. In challenging times, like the times we’re in, the stress and challenges are even more difficult. Hence the strain on our mental health.
It’s important that you ensure your mental health is strong, for you and your family – and your business.
In today’s Facebook live, Ramon Ray, Entrepreneur-in-Resident at HelloAlice (and founder SmartHustle.com) shares 9 ways business owners can take care of themselves emotionally. Some of these tips are adapted from this blog post about mental health on HelloAlice.
- Don’t Panic – Panic can paralyze you and keep you from focusing on moving forward
- Be flexible and resources – Challenges can take you off your current path. You MUST pivot and be able to change course and leverage (and make) new opportunities.
- If you have to lay off an employee, don’t beat yourself up about it. – Yes be empathetic and caring. However, understand that by laying off employees or reducing pay you’re doing what needs to be done to save your business. If you don’t save your business everyone loses their job..
- Practice self-compassion. – While you’re busy taking care of other people, also take the time to care for your self.
- Eat well and exercise – If you’re body is not healthy you’re mind won’t be healthy either. Don’t just sit on the couch or on a chair all day. Get up, move about and eat healthy.
- Ask for help – Going alone is not good. We all need help, we all need support. Ask for help and also be ready to GIVE help.
- Talk to others – don’t isolate yourself – Over the past few weeks I’ve participated in several online video chats a week. It’s been good. I’m not lonely and can keep up to date on what’s happening with other business owners and help others as well.
- Focus on something else other than your business – Go read a book, take a walk. Play a game of Uno. While most of us focus on our business most of the time. It’s important to take a break and give your mind and emotions a rest.