Everyone has unique, natural talents to offer the world; do you know what yours are? If you can identify your talents, you can develop them and use them to grow your business; you can also help develop the natural talents of your staff and team members. This information will help you on your journey.
Identifying Your Natural Talents: 7 Places to Look
While some talents are obvious, others may be harder to pinpoint. Here are 7 places where your talents may be hiding.
- What things did you most enjoy doing as a child?
- What things come naturally to you, things that are easier for you than others?
- What do other people say you are good at?
- What activities pull you in and make you lose track of time?
- If you could do one thing right now, what would it be?
- What sort of things do you most enjoy talking about?
- What aspect of yourself do you view as a ‘curse’ but could become beneficial if you learned how to harness it?
Regarding the last question, that is exactly how Peter Shankman determined that having ADHD was one of his biggest gifts, provided he learned how to manage it. He is the host of the popular Faster than Normal podcast which teaches people how to unlock the gifts of the ADD and ADHD brain, which he talked about during his presentation at the 2016 Smart Hustle Conference.
Developing Your Talent
From the list of skills you created, choose one to focus on first. There are many ways you can develop that talent, including:
- Set a goal related to your talent then achieve it. Remember to break larger goals into more manageable steps to keep motivated.
- Educate yourself about your talent. Read a book, take a course, or do something else that allows you to ‘dig in’ at a deeper level.
- Find a partner who has the same talent, so you can discuss it and find ways to develop it together.
- Share your talents with others who are interested in learning. Teaching your talents will help you discover things about them that you never realized.
Finally, as you are developing your talents, be on the lookout for ways that you can incorporate them into your business. Creatively applying your talents is an excellent way to stand out from the competition.