Why Text Marketing is A Must and 7 Steps to A Successful Campaign
Over the span of a few years, mobile phones have become an integral part of daily life for millions of Americans. You see it, you hear it, you read about it, but these Pew research statistics solidify the importance of cell phones in America today:
- As of January 2014, 90% of American adults own a cell phone
- 67% of cell owners check their phone for messages, calls and alerts even when their phone didn’t ring or vibrate
- 44% of cell owners have slept with their phone beside the bed so they don’t miss any calls or texts
- 29% of cell owners say their cell phone is “something they can’t imagine living without”
Given the widespread adoption of mobile phones, it begs the question – is text marketing the best way to reach potential and existing customers? The following infographic compares text marketing with social media marketing, and suggests that text marketing may be an ideal way to reach potential and existing customers in your next marketing campaign.
With the benefits of text marketing over social media marketing being quite evident, the next question you may have is how exactly do you run a good text marketing campaign? For tips on running a successful text marketing campaign, we turn to Textify, a mobile fundraising and communication solution. Here are 7 steps to creating and launching a successful text / SMS marketing campaign:[starlist]
- Build your text marketing list. One of the best ways is to offer people something of value in exchange for signing up – a free download, a free item, a discount, a coupon, valuable ongoing content, etc. You can also pair your text marketing with your business loyalty program, or have it as an option when people sign up for your regular newsletter.
- Establish goals for your campaign. Are you looking to build a list? Sell a product? Keep in touch with existing customers? Your goal will help you craft the right campaign for success.
- Choose a text messaging provider. You want to choose a provider that is affordable but also offers usability functions such as a keyword to have subscribers join, scheduled messages, and automated responses.
- Choose an opt-in keyword. It should be unique to your company and marketing message – short, simple, and catchy. You may also want a general keyword to drive all communication, but specific keywords for different campaigns.
- Plan your campaign. Your campaign should be designed around your goal. You should also consider the “what’s in it for me” factor to make sure you are providing an enticing offer that people will want to sign up for. Here are just a few of the many campaign ideas you may pursue:
- Notifications about events
- Coupons or offers to loyal customers
- Sign up for newsletters or further text notifications
- Reminder messages related to your business
- Promote your campaign. Some possibilities include promoting at events, on social media, on your blog or website, through your newsletter, or even in your physical store location through signs and cards.
- Evaluate your campaign. Did you achieve your goal? How many texts were sent versus how many people signed up? Take a second to evaluate your successes and failures, and use this information to create an even more successful campaign next time.
These are the important pieces of running a successful text marketing campaign, but a final piece of the puzzle (which we mentioned above) is choosing a text marketing service to help you create a text campaign. Top 10 Reviews has looked at all the major text marketing services and created a Top 10 list. In their review, they compare features and functions of the top 10 providers, but their top three choices are:
Sumotext: Sumotext is a comprehensive text marketing service that has special plans for small businesses. You can choose a self-service model, a managed service, or a hybrid model based on your specific needs. With a phone call you can discuss the plans and prices that work for your business.
Ez Texting: Ez Texting has a range of features for text and multi-media marketing. You can get started with 500 messages per month for free, but they also offer plans starting at $49/month and a pay as you go option that have additional features.
Trumpia: Trumpia has a variety of SMS marketing options, including the ability to set up a mobile loyalty program for your business. Prices are a higher than Ez Texting, but the platform is trusted by Fortune 500 companies like CocaCola, Google, and eBay.
With the popularity of mobile communication, text message marketing offers you another way to reach customers - at success rates much higher than other marketing choices (such as email or social media). From the infographic we know that the average person ‘checking in’ on their phone 150 times per day. Maybe they are waiting for a message from you.